As the span during which public gatherings (including attending my beloved live theater) are unsafe stretches further and further ahead of us, I'm quietly grateful that the last play I saw was The Inheritance and the last musical Six. At least I said goodbye to the season well, even if we didn't know it was goodbye at the time. Everything else is just quiet worry, grief, and fear.
This past week's watchlist and theater developments below:
Streaming Theater-Related Content I Watched
- New York City Center has been posting archived clips from past Encores! productions on twitter.
- National Theatre At Home's Treasure Island.
- This absolutely golden excerpt from Glengarry Glen Ross starring American Girl dolls, courtesy of Kathryn Hahn and family.
- Playbill's stream of Bandstand.
- The Broadway revival cast of A Chorus Line reunited (remotely) to recreate the opening audition choreography. Stick around for the end for a cameo by Charlotte d'Amboise (Cassie in the revival) and husband Terrence Mann (Larry in the film).
- The Phantom of the Opera, courtesy of Andrew Lloyd Webber's channel on YouTube.
- Michael Urie reprised his performance in Jonathan Tolins' Buyer and Cellar from his living room.
- The Actors Theatre of Louisville's live-stream of Where the Mountain Meets the Sea.
- Feinstein's/54 Below's 10th anniversary celebration of Yank!
- Ramin Karimloo and Hadley Fraser dueting "Bring Him Home" and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables (hat tip to Beth Slack for making me aware; watch only if you're prepared for a couple new musical theater crushes because damn).
- Broadway star Danny Burstein revealed he had been hospitalized with COVID-19, but that he is now recovering at home. His wife Rebecca Luker is now symptomatic.
- Lucille Lortel nominations are out.
- Celebrated stage and screen actor Brian Dennehy passed away, though unrelated to coronavirus.
- The Public Theater has canceled its summer programming, including Shakespeare in the Park.
- Broadway actor Nick Cordero, still sedated in the hospital battling COVID-19, had his right leg amputated due to cascading complications from medications.