Monday, May 20, 2024

Weekly Margin 2024, W20: Three Houses, The Good Person of Setzuan

5/14/24: Three Houses
What: Signature presents Dave Malloy's new musical, a loose adaptation of The Three Little Pigs, that sees three disparate individuals at a mysterious open mic night, sharing the stories of how they "went crazy" while isolated during lockdown in 2020/2021.
And? "My heart broke, and then the world broke, and then my brain broke too." Dave Malloy truly is a special voice in the theater, and I'm always grateful to see a new work of his. He's so adept at coming at ideas from weird angles, offering new lenses on things that are simultaneously relatable and entirely unfamiliar. His agility at dilating the experience of obsession and addiction, as demonstrated here and in Octet and Preludes, shows a person who knows of what he speaks. While this probably won't surpass Great Comet or Octet for me among Malloy's canon, I still loved it and am glad I saw it.

Mia Pak and Margo Siebert. Photo by Marc J. Franklin.



Streaming

No comments:

Post a Comment