Monday, July 1, 2024

Weekly Margin 2024, W26: A Little Night Music in Concert

What: David Geffen Hall at Lincoln Center hosts a concert staging of the musical adaptation of Smiles of a Summer Night
And? Sublime. I understand from reading online that the concert was on shakier ground earlier in the week (line flubs, etc), but it was in fairly good shape by Saturday night, when we saw it (I don't know if I'll ever not be anxious during a performance of "Liaisons," either for tempo or lyric reasons). Not every casting decision was ultimately ideal, but a lot of the important stuff worked really well. I don't think that I've ever been as invested in Desiree and Fredrik as a couple, as I was by Susan Graham's and Ron Raines's rendering of them. I cried during both "Send in the Clowns" and its reprise (and due to antidepressants, I'm not crying at the theater nearly as often as I used to). The star of the night is probably still Ruthie Ann Miles in the meaty role of Countess Charlotte--she's precise and perfect, delivering every line and lyric like succulent bites in a transporting meal. We do not deserve her (but aren't we lucky she's here?). Also marvelous were Jin Ha as Frid (they restored Frid's cut song and Ha sang it beautifully) and Cynthia Erivo as Petra (that high note in "Miller's Son"!). But what really struck me as well is how much it matters that the liebeslieder singers are well-cast. They often feel like an afterthought (especially in casting), but they have to be good--so much of their performance carries us through the thinner second act. These five are in marvelous voice, good concert with each other, and making real choices that help add more dimension to the lyrics. Thank you Ellie Fishman, Leah Horowitz, Jonathan Christopher, Andrea Jones-Sojola, and Ross Lekites.

Leah Horowitz, Jonathan Christopher, Andrew Jones-Sojola, Ross Lekites,
and Ellie Fishman as the Liebeslieder Singers. Photo by Joan Marcus.


No comments:

Post a Comment